Re: no-strong-digests-in-dsc MBF

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:14:46AM +1100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> The hashes inside the .dsc file are not used in Debian once the package has
> been accepted by dak.
>
> * The trustable way of getting the source package is with apt-get source,
> when apt verifies the Release signature → hashes → Sources → hashes for each
> part of the source package: dsc, orig.tar.gz, diff.gz/diff.tar.xz

so this "trustable" way of getting the source packages relies on a piece
of software, dak, running 24/365 on a machine (administrated by some
volunteers in their free time) on the internet, to not to be compromised?

I'm not sure I can really trust this very much.

> * The not-really-trustable way of getting the source package is with "dget
> http://.../package.dsc";. Using the dsc directly, dget will check the
> signature on the dsc and check the hashes.

I'd really like to see strong hashes used here.

(and btw, let's drop md5sums for buster, "maybe", _completly_, or how long
do we want to be joked about?)

--
cheers,
	Holger