Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On Mon, 2017-01-09 at 17:33 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> All of this applying and unapplying of patches around build
> operations is complete madness if you ask me - but I don't see a
> better approach given the constraints.  dgit sometimes ends up doing
> this (and moans about it), which is even madder given that dgit has
> git to help it out.

To state the bleeding obvious, it arises because on day 1 Debian
decided to do the builds in the original source tree, then tries to
recover the original source at the end by running "debian/rules clean".
 When I moved from rpm's to deb over a decade ago, I was surprised by
this.  Rpm's create temp build directory, so the "debian/rules clean"
step can be handled reliably 100% of the time by the rpm build tool.
Debian insisting you write it creates extra work.  But when in Rome do
as the Romans do and all that.

Later when I started to work on other peoples packages it became
apparent that many of the Romans didn't bother with it.  So the
debian/rules binary; dpkg --install; test; debian/rules clean; fix;
rinse and repeat cycle doesn't work at all for maybe 1/3 of packages,
and another 1/3 occasionally fail when something goes wrong during the
patch / build process.

When it goes wrong your only option is "rm -r; dpkg-source -x; manually
reapply your changes" which is tedious, error prone, and for me least
conducive to losing a days work.  It is indeed utter madness that over
a decade later we still allow this work flow.