Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

Le 06/01/2017 à 16:37, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Sebastian Andrzej Siewior writes ("Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems"):
>> On 2017-01-03 16:58:21 [+0000], Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> Looked at another way, it is trying to be a version control system,
>>> layered on top of the Debian archive.  But it is only about a quarter
>>> of a VCS.  There are no formal interfaces to do proper VCS operations.
>>> If there is a formal interface, it is quilt(1) (which is itself very
>>> poor.  NB that is not quilt's fault: quilt inevitably has a hard job
>>> because can't make enough assumptions).
>>
>> there quilt push, pop and header which seems enough.
>
> Well, it seems you don't really think so :-), because:
>
>> I usually have git-dpm which creates the quilt series and I try to
>> keep patches documented.
>
> So you are using git operations to manipulate your patch stack.
> git-dpm is one of the tools we have which lets you do that.

Well, just to say, I'm personally quite happy with '3.0 (quilt)'. I try
to maintain all my packages in git in unapplied state, because in my
opinion this is the sensible thing to do. When I do a
  git diff upstream master
I want to see only debian/ in there. I much prefer to check a diff of
diff over a simple diff, because most of the time I want to see what
changed in the packaging, not in the final state. When I want to do the
later, I use debdiff.

For me the patch is the final product, I like the clear separation
between upstream and debian/, so it's for me a very appealing design to
have individual patches in debian/patches. I use git to keep the history
of the patch, not to manage it.

I manage my patches using quilt. I would really prefer if sbuild et al.
would revert the patches after building by default, but that's life. I
respect that other people have other views.

I'm not interested at the moment in dgit or other wrappers because
 1- they seem to me to add complexity to the process;
 2- I prefer to understand what I'm doing.

Kind regards, Thibaut.

--
* Dr Thibaut Paumard       | LESIA/CNRS - Table équatoriale (bât. 5)   *
* Tel: +33 1 45 07 78 60   | Observatoire de Paris - Section de Meudon *