Re: Hiding library packages from apt searches by default? (was: Re: Worthless node-* package descriptions in ITPs)

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Christian Seiler wrote:

> Could we maybe hide library packages from apt searches by default?

This is going to have unintended consequences; for example, if we base
it on Debian Section fields, library source packages that build a
binary package containing tools, that are (incorrectly) put into the
libs section, will not be found by users.

> I think most users don't care about libraries in any language (be it
> Perl, C, JS, Python, ...), but only care about software they
> use directly. And developers that do care about libraries could pass
> a flag to APT to say "yeah, please show me all packages that match
> this". And maybe even indicated how many library packages were not
> shown in the default search results?

How would you propose to implement that? apt currently doesn't have
enough metadata about packages to say if they are end-user tools or
not, and it depends on the user which tools are acceptable. For
example; some folks can deal with the command-line but the majority of
humanity cannot, some folks dislike particular GUI toolkits, etc.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise