"not authorised" doing various desktoppy things

Recently, my nm-applet can no longer control my network-manager
daemon.  I get a message saying[1]:

  "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control-request failed: not
  authorized"

I think this is related to a similar problem in *-power-manager,
#848623.

I am running:
  * sysvinit
  * lightdm
  * systemd-logind
  * vtwm
  * my own xsession script
I thought I was running systemd-shim but I don't appear to be.

Can someone please help explain to me how these things are supposed to
work ?  Specifically, how is (presumably as a consequence of me
logging in using a display manager) my session supposed to be granted
the ability to manage various system resources like the power and
network settings.

I'd love to know where to start debugging, or where to send bug
reports.

Presumably there is also a way to override things and permanently
grant my account the relevant privilege.  That would be fine for
single-user computers (including most laptops).  But I want to fix
this in the general case.  I suspect that (for example) desktoppy
removeable media, or audio access, may be affected (although I don't
use those things).

Ian.

[1] copy typed because I can't c&p - wtf, is this windows ?