Re: Mass Bug Filing: Missing Build-Depends: graphviz

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:26:16AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > Yes, so that's a bug in those programs, not in doxygen.  It would be "fixed" by
> > adding graphviz as a Depends to doxygen, but that would be incorrect.
>
> Please note that it is really doxygen who calls dot while those
> programs are being built, not really those programs. And doxygen calls
> dot because the HAVE_DOT variable is set to yes by doxygen, indicating
> that the dot command is available.

No, it is a configuration option which is set by the calling program.  It
defaults to yes, and for that reason it makes sense that there should be a
Recommends relation.  But the caller is not required to keep the default, so if
it does, it is calling dot through doxygen.

> Do you agree, at least, that it is not doxygen business to claim
> that the dot command is available without a Depends?

I just reread policy, and changed my mind on this.

Policy says: The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is
required for the depending package to provide a significant amount of
functionality.  The Recommends field should list packages that would be found
together with this one in all but unusual installations.

I wouldn't consider the graphs a "significant amount of functionality", but
that is subjective.  I'd leave it to the package maintainer to decide whether
that is the case.  Given that they chose to make HAVE_DOT the default, it seems
that they do, so then a Depends would be in order.

On the other hand, if they decide that it isn't, then the proper way to use
doxygen with HAVE_DOT enabled (explicitly or as the default) is to depend on
graphviz.

So I agree that if HAVE_DOT defaults to yes, it should be a Depends relation.

> Since we are all Cc:ing the bug address: This bug report is not to ask
> doxygen to depend on graphviz, that would be only one of the two possible
> outcomes.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Bas