Re: Mass Bug Filing: Missing Build-Depends: graphviz

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 05:04:24AM +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 08:07:55PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 06:51:23PM +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > > That also means that programs calling dot will need graphviz in their
> > > Build-Depends, no matter what the default is.
> >
> > As is, a number of them do call dot without the build-dependency.
>
> Yes, so that's a bug in those programs, not in doxygen.  It would be "fixed" by
> adding graphviz as a Depends to doxygen, but that would be incorrect.

Please note that it is really doxygen who calls dot while those
programs are being built, not really those programs. And doxygen calls
dot because the HAVE_DOT variable is set to yes by doxygen, indicating
that the dot command is available.

Do you agree, at least, that it is not doxygen business to claim
that the dot command is available without a Depends?

Since we are all Cc:ing the bug address: This bug report is not to ask
doxygen to depend on graphviz, that would be only one of the two possible
outcomes.

This bug report is about the inconsistency of having HAVE_DOT defaulting
to yes without a Depends.

> > That would be the case if doxygen propagated the error, which it does not.
>
> And that _is_ a bug in doxygen, IMO.  If it cannot produce the requested
> output, it should abort with an error.

Yes, that's definitely a bug and it's already reported (Bug #818379).

Thanks.