Re: Archive changes

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:15:16PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just activated a few changes to the archive we talk(ed) about for a
>long time. And while it is not exactly the start of this release cycle,
>it should still work out nicely (so one hopes).
>
>As of now, InRelease/Release files, Packages and Sources no longer
>provide MD5Sum and SHA1sums, only SHA256.

That (Packages and Sources) will break jigdo generation for debian-cd
(and hence all CD/DVD/BD builds). We can't fix this easily in a short
timescale - current released jigdo clients (both in Debian and
externally) use md5 internally to reference files in the archive. Not
as a *security* feature; this is the core design of jigdo.

>Additionally I turned off generating gzip compressed versions of those
>files, xz is there.

And that will break various other parts of debian-cd.

>To test it, this is limited to experimental. We hope nothing breaks on it,
>but lets try for a few days. If that works out, we should adjust
>unstable, and another short time later coordinate with the release team
>to adjust testing, so it ends up in the next release.

Please, no. We need more time than that to fix things up.

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Das Mohapatra