Re: Archive changes

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:15:16PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just activated a few changes to the archive we talk(ed) about for a
> long time. And while it is not exactly the start of this release cycle,
> it should still work out nicely (so one hopes).
>
> As of now, InRelease/Release files, Packages and Sources no longer
> provide MD5Sum and SHA1sums, only SHA256.
>
> Additionally I turned off generating gzip compressed versions of those
> files, xz is there.

In addition to the security improvement, a quick analysis on
binary-amd64 shows that this will reduce the size of Packages for
binary-amd64 from 39MB to 35MB (uncompressed), and the size of the
xz-compressed version from 7.9MB to 5.9MB.  Very nice!

That also helps reduce the impact and overhead of adding additional
binary packages.

Thanks for working on this.

- Josh Triplett