Re: Difference in behaviour between pbuilder and sbuild

Hi,

Quoting Mattia Rizzolo (2016-11-28 13:39:46)
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:17:21PM +1100, Scott Leggett wrote:
> > But that means that pbuilder is carrying my local environment over to the
> > build environment - so the build environment is no longer pristine.  Is
> > that behaviour intentional?
> Yes it is.  I mean, it's a feature that never existed, it's not planned, and
> I don't think will happen anytime soon.  I'd also argue that if you need to
> clean up your environment like that either the package is fauly, or the build
> host is.

I'd argue that the task of "clean up your environment" (build dependencies as
well as environment variables) is *exactly* what chrooted package builders like
sbuild and pbuilder should do.  After all, if it was easy to manually run
package builds in a clean environment then we wouldn't need them. Instead, we
use sbuild or pbuilder because it is tedious to repeatedly and manually:

 - run debootstrap
 - copy sources
 - chroot into the new rootfs
 - install build dependencies
 - run the package build
 - tear down the rootfs

The reason that sbuild does not drop *all* environment variables is, that it's
easier to write:

DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck sbuild

Than to invent more command line parameters to pass common environment
variables that are intended to influence the package build.

Thanks!

cheers, josch