Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 09:28:34AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016, at 09:11, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 17/11/16 at 08:31 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > The deal with *current* Debian stable is that, if the breakage is too
> > > widespread, we simply might not be able to do the right thing (fix the
> > > real bugs).
> >
> > Based on the number of bugs uncovered by my archive rebuild, I'm really
> > not sure that this class of bugs is widespread, and requires to be
> > special-cased. Relying on users to report problems, and then fix them
> > is probably enough.
>
> The rebuild was helpful, but it depends on the application/library
> regression test suite to detect any application locking issues.  Not
> every package has those, or runs those during build :-(

But we do already have > 1 year of widespread testing by users
running unstable/testing on machines with TSX enabled.

So for unstable/stretch this does not seem to be a huge problem.

These are normal bugs that should be found and fixed if possible,
just like passing a pointer in an int or many other kinds of bugs.

Or do I miss anything here?

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.