Re: OpenSSL 1.1.0

On 2016-11-16 19:49:44 [+0200], Adrian Bunk wrote:
> The problem are not specific bugs, the problem is the whole size of the
> problem:
>
> 1. Sorting out what packages have to stay at 1.0.2
> The majority of OpenSSL-using packages in stretch might end up
> using 1.0.2 - sorting this out is part of the ongoing OpenSSL
> transition.

You have two choices: either port it to 1.1.0 and stay with 1.0.2.

> 2. OpenSSL 1.1 support is often only build-tested
> We are currently at 650 packages in unstable depending on libssl1.0.2,
> and when binNMUs will happen we might get a three-digit number of
> new RC bugs like #843988 and #843532.

stunnel was prepared upstream to work with 1.1.0 and it wasn't perfect.
We would also face the same problem if openssl 1.0.2 decided to do a
realloc() at some point. Lucky it did not yet. Some package run a
testsuite so we find bugs there, too.

> 3. Another Debian OpenSSL security fiasco?
> Bugs like #843988 are only about problems that show up immediately.
> This is often code where mistakes can be CVEs, and bug #843988 or
> the comment "With Kurt's patch, apache2 crashes on startup" don't
> make me optimistic regarding silent new security holes.
> Depending on how/if this was applied upstream, these might become
> Debian-specific CVEs.

I forwaded (or tried) my 1.1.0 fixups to upstream. I didn't find alive
upstream for the two perl patches I made and had hope that the debian
maintainer knows how to forwarded them.

> People will remember the last time Debian screwed up badly in the area
> of OpenSSL, so this could really harm the reputation of Debian.
>
> 4. Schedule
> The transition freeze was 11 days ago, and the soft freeze is only
> 1.5 months ahead.
> If the work on points 1 and 2 above is not mostly finished
> by December 5th (mandatory 10-day migrations will start, only
> 1 month until the soft freeze), either the OpenSSL transition
> or the release schedule have to be scrapped.

So people still can choose to go for 1.1.0 or 1.0.2. They may work on
1.1.0.

> cu
> Adrian

Sebastian