Re: missing -dbgsym packages on uploads by maintainer(s)

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 12:58:13AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> The machinery for arch:all binaries is still incomplete:
> * it supports only packages buildable on amd64, there are some which require
>   a specific host[1] arch

We (Ubuntu) discussed this with Debian ftpmaster/buildd-admin types a
while back and came to an agreement that we'd accept a
Build-Indep-Architecture .dsc field, which you'd typically write as e.g.
"XS-Build-Indep-Architecture: arm64" in debian/control; so this is at
least specified, and we implemented it in Launchpad in February 2015.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/217427 has details and links
to code.  I guess this never got followed through in dak, although there
are a couple of packages in unstable that use it anyway.

(I wasn't in the actual discussion, so my belief that it was a
discussion with ftpmaster/buildd-admin is at second hand and from
memory, but I'm reasonably sure ...)

Of course we have more incentive to deal with this kind of thing, since
Launchpad won't accept binary uploads from anyone.  We deal with
bootstrapping by having a very small set of people who can (with some
effort) inject binaries as extra build-dependencies for nominated
builds, but that's very much an exceptional process.

> * wanna-build(?)'s resolution of arch-specific build-depends is buggy.  For
>   example, my package arch-test wants, among others:
>       binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu [!amd64 !i386 !x32]
>   which is a no-op on amd64, properly recognized as such by dpkg-dev,
>   debuild, sbuild, pbuilder, etc, yet the package never gets picked for
>   autobuilding.

Possibly a dose-builddebcheck bug, though it could certainly be in the
fairly complex wanna-build integration with dose-builddebcheck
(https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/mirror/wanna-build.git/tree/bin/wanna-build#n1846
and the various functions it calls).