Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 08:02:56PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes ("Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?"):
> > > And what should we do about Debian stretch, then?
> >
> > Perhaps we could add the assert you suggest, on non-lock-elision
> > hardware.  Whether to do that would depend on its performance impact.
>
> Idea: what if we added the assert now, for a few months of testing on all
> hardware, then drop it during the freeze?

It doesn't even need to be added to production libc.  A debugger's
version of the package would be enough.

And we only need to instrument x86-64 (amd64), really.  It would be a
test corpus more than large enough, and typically fast enough to handle
whatever performance loss the extra check will cause.

Since this doesn't change lock type, it is far less intrusive than the
current options to root out such bugs.

--
  Henrique Holschuh