Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 02:36:27PM +0100, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
> > Tangentially related: is there something similar for kernels?  My
> > monitoring setup currently compares the age of the most recent file in
> > /boot with the uptime, but I feel there must be something more proper
> > somewhere.
>
> Unattended-Upgrades can also handle this by itself, it ships a
>  /etc/kernel/postinst.d/unattended-upgrades
> hook that create a
>  /var/run/reboot-required trigger;
> which tell UU to reboot the computer
> after updates includiong a kernel are done. (1)
>
> This was a bit harsh to reboot with people logged now,
> so now UU can also check for active users. (2)
>
> (1) & (2) are disabled by default; there's also
> "Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot-Time",
> for school & offices.

It might be worth pointing out that the /var/run/reboot-required is
always created even if u-u- is configured to not act on it. So a
monitoring system and watch for this file and we may consider showing
on login (e.g. via motd) that the system needs a restart if this file
is present.

Cheers,
 Michael