Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

> Tangentially related: is there something similar for kernels?  My
> monitoring setup currently compares the age of the most recent file in
> /boot with the uptime, but I feel there must be something more proper
> somewhere.

Unattended-Upgrades can also handle this by itself, it ships a
 /etc/kernel/postinst.d/unattended-upgrades
hook that create a
 /var/run/reboot-required trigger;
which tell UU to reboot the computer
after updates includiong a kernel are done. (1)

This was a bit harsh to reboot with people logged now,
so now UU can also check for active users. (2)

(1) & (2) are disabled by default; there's also
"Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot-Time",
for school & offices.

Greets,

Alexandre