Re: package builds crashing under fakeroot

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 16:46 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Christian Seiler writes ("Re: package builds crashing under fakeroot"):
> >
> > On 10/03/2016 04:50 PM, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> > >
> > > So its a legitimate tightening of credential-checking in pmix. However
> > > it causes problems for us running tests under binary-arch.
> > If the tests themselves don't need root (fakeroot is required for
> > Debian's build infrastructure), you could just remove the fakeroot
> > libraries from LD_PRELOAD.
> >
> > Example script (save as e.g. debian/nofakeroot, make it executable,
> > call the tests via debian/nofakeroot command in debian/rules):
> Yikes.
>

> > > What do DDs think should be done about this - move all tests outside
> > > binary-arch?
> Yes.
>
> I think tests should be done in build targets, not binary targets.
> It's probably a bug of some kind that they're not.
>
> Is that straightforward to do ?

Yes, running tests should definitely not be done in the binary targets. I've
been hit by this a few times. It is a bug. From memory I think this is due to
usage of the default rule:
%:
        dh $@

with no override_dh_auto_build and override_dh_auto_test rules. By default the
tests are run under fakeroot, and they should not (except when specified).