Re: removal instead of orphaning?

On Sun, 2016-09-18 at 14:30 +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:28:55 +0100, "Adam D. Barratt"
> > <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2016-09-18 at 11:45 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > >
> > > So when I do the first upload after an NMU all bugs that the BTS has
> > > as "fixed in NMU" get changed to "closed"?
> >
> > "Fixed in NMU" has not been a distinct state for several years, since
> > the introduction of BTS version tracking. The NMU upload simply marks
> > the bugs as closed in the version of that upload, the same as it would
> > for any other upload.
> >
> > If your next maintainer upload includes the changelog stanza for the NMU
> > in its changelog then the BTS will automatically know that your upload
> > includes those fixes, without your mentioning them in your own stanza
> > for your upload.
>
> Doesn't it just consider that any version after the "fixed" version contains
> the fixes? Otherwise I thought you'd need to specify the appropriate -v
> option.

That depends on what you mean by 'after'.  If you mean 'with a greater
version', then the answer is no.  The BTS parses changelogs to
determine whether a version currently in the archive is derived from a
version where the bug was fixed.

> There are still cases sometimes of NMU changes being ommitted from the
> following maintainer upload, so "fixed in NMU" could still be a meaningful
> state. Admittedly patches get dropped accidentally between maintainer uploads
> sometimes too, so the distinction isn't all that important...

When that happens, the changelog entry for the fixed version is usually
missing and the BTS logic determines that the fix is not present.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: