Re: removal instead of orphaning?

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 10:13:44AM +0100, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
I think that one measure to improve the current situation is that, for
the people doing NMUs, to orphan the package when the number of NMUs
exceeds for example 3 or 5 in a row, or 1 year since the oldest NMU not
acked by the maintainers and there are bugs or reasons requiring new
intervention.  (Exceptions can apply if there are specific reasons to
avoid to do that, e.g. keep packages as part of a team).  With this,
future NMUs will be QA uploads.

If there's a general agreement that this is a good thing, and somehow
becomes part of the NMU process or similar guidelines [2], it would help
to avoid conflicts.

If you have time to make this idea into a patch, a bug against
developers-reference would be a good place to discuss it.

I failed to do this in the last few weeks and it looks like the next
will be worse in terms of spare time, so I'll see what I can do, but I
cannot promise anything :-/

Also, I hoped to gather some feedback to the message at least, to see if
the above looks reasonable to most people.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>