Re: Standards-Version field should be deprecated

Le 8/09/2016 à 17:39, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> If you're just automatically updating it without ever looking at how
> Policy has changed, then yes, it's not useful.  And I don't think it's
> very useful to publish.

That's indeed what happens most of the time. The set of packages
maintained by the Java Team (~900) is mostly comprised of mere libraries
never affected by policy changes, and updating the Standards-Version
field over and over again for these packages becomes frustrating.

I understand others may find Standards-Version useful as a bookmark for
checking changes to be made (although from my point of view using the
date in the changelog as a starting point and relying on the Lintian
checks is equally good). But I think we should be allowed to not use
this tool.

What I would suggest is to:
- make Standards-Version optional instead of recommended
- lower the severity of the no-standards-version-field Lintian check (at
least W if the field remains recommended, or I if it becomes optional).

Emmanuel Bourg