Re: removal instead of orphaning?

On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 00:19 +0000, Sean Whitton wrote:

> The nice thing about the homepage being there is that the user can get
> it by running `apt-cache show foo`.  Unless you plan to pull in that
> information when building the binary package?

It woudn't need to be present when building the binary package for it
to be present in the output of `apt show`, dak could pull it from
whatever service it is maintained in and add it to the apt metadata.

> Is your reason for not including the watch file primarily because it
> doesn't make sense that updating it requires a new source package revision?

The contents of Maintainers, Homepage, debian/watch, debian/upstream/*
and possibly other information can change independently of the source
package so it makes sense to not maintain them in the source package.

Personally I think Debian is too attached to the current model of
storing everything in the source package (and increasingly in git) to
be able to change to external maintenance of these things soon.

That said, we do have separate watch file maintenance already:

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/sepwatch/

--
bye,
pabs