Re: libsystemd [was: Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?]

On 2016-08-27 at 06:26, Andrew Shadura wrote:

> On 27 August 2016 at 10:33, Dmitry Bogatov <kaction@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Like compat package, which provides libsystemd.a static library
>> and headers, that mirrors interface of libsystemd. This library
>> would forward call to actual libsystemd, if it exists and return
>> error, if it does not.
>>
>> Probably, this method can be used with other libraries, like
>> libaudit or libdbus.
>
> You're going to be surprised to learn such library exists.
>
> It is called libsystemd.

There is one minor/cosmetic downside of libsystemd as currently
provided, however: the apt-listchanges changelog.

The only '*systemd*' package which I have installed is libsystemd0.
However, whenever I dist-upgrade (which is at least weekly if not daily,
against testing) and a new version of libsystemd0 gets installed,
apt-listchanges shows me what appears to be the changelog for the
systemd source package - which rarely (if ever) includes anything about
changes which seem to relate to libsystemd0 itself, only to the larger
suite of programs for which it serves as a stub layer.

Having to wade through that frequently fairly large list, just on the
off-chance there's anything which will affect code that's actually being
changed on my system, is a pain.

(It's actually worse than that, because this would happen even if I also
removed libsystemd0; this same systemd-source-package(?) changelog
appears to be displayed on upgrades of _udev_, for no apparent reason
beyond udev now apparently(?) being maintained as part of that same
umbrella suite of software - and indeed, changes to udev _are_ sometimes
mentioned in the 'systemd' changelog and apparently are not mentioned
elsewhere, which means I do need to wade through that changelog in case
anything relevant is mentioned.

IMO this level of integration between things which are not mutually
interdependent is a minor bug in itself, but none of the maintainers are
going to agree with me on that.)

--
   The Wanderer