Re: removal instead of orphaning?

 ❦ 27 août 2016 12:23 CEST, Andrew Shadura <andrew@shadura.me> :

>> Today I was, once again, surprised to see how many (low popcon) orphaned
>> packages we have. I believe that orphanage is a burden to our community
>> in the sense that not all packages are picked up by a new maintainer and
>> these packages need some QA once in a while and often don't get enough
>> of that (at least most packages that I touched).
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> Packages have not only maintainers, but users. And users mainly have
> no skills to maintain packages. And when packages are removed, users
> become unhappy.
>
> A bunch of packages I use have been removed instead of orphaning them.
> I'm a DD myself, but I don't have enough time (and sometimes skills)
> to maintain them.
>
> I am indeed very unhappy.

I share your concerns. Sometimes, a package is still worthwhile even
without a maintainer. If there is an RC bug, a concerned DD can do an
NMU fixing the bug while still not wanting to become a maintainer
because they don't have time.
--
I fell asleep reading a dull book, and I dreamt that I was reading on,
so I woke up from sheer boredom.