Re: Building qemu bootloaders for multiple architectures

Hello,

On 21 Aug 2016 2:00 p.m., "Bastian Blank" <waldi@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I currently maintain ipxe.  It is usualy used by x86 qemu to do all the
> network stuff.  It also provides a large binary that can be loaded by
> grub.
>
> As it is pulled in by qemu-system-x86 it needs to be installable on any
> Debian architecture.  Currently it only ships an arch-all package that
> suffices this requirement, but it can only be built on i386 and amd64.
> The other solution at the time would be using cross compiler and build
> it seperately on each architecture.
>
> Now ipxe started to get arm support.  I have no idea if it is already
> usable for qemu or what else.
>
> It should be possible to build arch-all packages during builds on
> different architectures.  Aka build ipxe-qemu:all on i386 and
> ipxe-qemu-arm:all on armel.  But I don't think this is a nice thing to
> do.
>
> It is also possible to use multiarch.  This would make qemu-system-x86
> uninstallable as long as i386 or amd64 is not enabled.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Similar story for s390x virtio qemu bootloader support code. Currently sources are in src:qemu, should be arch:all, can be compiled with native or s390x cross compiler.

So far we have infrastructure to declare a particular source package to be build on particular arch, but then one needs to split that arch bootloader code into separate package... It would be nice to declare Arch:all packages that are Build-Arch: s390x. That way e.g. there are multiple arch:all builds despatched to build most arch:all packages on arch:all builder, this arch:all package on s390x, and all the arch:any packages everywhere else.

Regards,

Dimitri.