Re: Status of kbd console-data and console-setup

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:51:31 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Cesare Leonardi, on Sun 31 Jul 2016 16:22:54 +0200, wrote:
>> Console-data package was last updated in 2014, was reported obsolete
>> for a long time and user reporting bug to it are sollecited to migrate
>> to console-setup. For example see the preistoric bug #626680 (still
>> valid). And upstream looks definitely dead.
>> Why this broken package is still available?
>
> Perhaps for some corner cases. It's meant to be removed anyway.
>
>> Nowadays localectl from systemd coupled with kbd are able to cover the
>> main job of console-setup, isn't it?
>
> I don't think so. Does it support the various modifiers that xkb
> supports, for instance? Does it cover at least the same set of keymaps
> as xkb? Are kbd keymaps really as well maintained as xkb-data keymaps
> are?

localed by itself does little more than updating /etc/default/keyboard et
al[1] (it can set XKBMODEL, XKBVARIANT, XKBLAYOUT and XKBOPTIONS in that
file). It then tries to invoke systemd-vconsole, which is the service
that actually tries to setup the console, but it is not enabled in debian.

>> I mean setting up console's and X11's keyboard.
>
> Does systemd now sets up X11 keyboard too?!

Yes. But in debian it is patched to only touch /etc/default/keyboard.

[1] Via a debian patch, though.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler