Re: ifupdown2: debconf followup

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 at 12:40:37 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 12:31:14PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > We should also think hard about switching to a new default since
> > currently many other major distributions are moving to NetworkManager
> > and/or systemd-networkd (which nowadays is usable, works well for
> > simpler use cases and will be installed on every Debian system anyway).
>
> For the latter, "installable only with a certain init implementation, and
> not portable to any kernel but Linux" doesn't say "every Debian system" to
> me.

"Every Debian system" was certainly overreaching, but Marco has a valid
point: default installations of Debian on its recommended kernel will have
systemd(-networkd). If you take steps to use a non-default init system,
or if you choose to install with a non-recommended kernel, then I think
it's reasonable to expect that other defaults will not necessarily suit
you either; but since you have already demonstrated that you are able
to choose non-default options, you can continue to do so.

Defaults should err on the side of the option we would recommend to
people who don't have (enough knowledge to have) special requirements
or a strong preference, because those are precisely the people who won't
or can't choose something more suitable for their needs.

    (currently using ifupdown on remote server because I haven't got round
    to changing it, systemd-networkd on home server, and NetworkManager
    on everything with Debian and wifi)