Re: synaptics vs libinput and GNOME 3.20 no longer supporting synaptics

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 01:57:13PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> libinput is a lot smarter than synaptics when it comes to palm
> detection.

Question about libinput?  The main reason why I'm using synclient
because I have a Thinkpad T540p which doesn't have hard buttons for
the "mouse buttons".  It does have TrackPoint which I infinitely
prefer to the !@#?! horrendo Trackpad on the T540p.  So I do the
following to only use the Trackpad for buttons.

synclient RightButtonAreaTop=0
synclient RightButtonAreaRight=4858
synclient RightButtonAreaBottom=5000
synclient RightButtonAreaLeft=3500

synclient MiddleButtonAreaTop=0
synclient MiddleButtonAreaRight=3499
synclient MiddleButtonAreaBottom=5000
synclient MiddleButtonAreaLeft=2800

synclient coastingFriction=50
synclient coastingSpeed=15

synclient areaTopEdge=6000
synclient areaLeftEdge=0
synclient VertEdgeScroll=0
synclient HorizEdgeScroll=0

Basically, I don't want to use the Trackpad for mouse events, not
*ever*.  And even if the keyboard and trackpoint are quiscent, I don't
want a random palm swipe to be registered a mouse or button event ---
only when the pad is physically depressed.

What's the equivalent way of doing the same thing with the libinput
driver?  (Note: I'm still using the X server, not Wayland, and I'm
using XFCE).

Thanks,

						- Ted