Policy 12.3: should I rename?

I am working on bringing the libargtable2 package up to date with both upstream changes and the Debian policy. One of the changes state:

recommend to ship additional documentation for package pkg in a separate package pkg-doc and install it into /usr/share/doc/pkg.

The package currently ships the docs in a package calles "libargtable2-docs" (plural). I am wondering whether I should rename it, and how to do it.

As far as I can tell, I have three options:

  1. Don't rename. It's only a "recommends".
  2. Rename with full transitional package
  3. Rename without transitional package

The incentive for doing 3 is that the dev package already depends on the docs package, so a transitional package might not be all that important.

Another question I have is regarding packaging. The Policy suggests that libargtable2-doc should install the docs to /usr/share/doc/libargtable2. It seems that debhelper is not a friend in that regard, pushing me to install to /usr/share/doc/libargtable2-doc. Am I missing some option that would make that easy?

Shachar