Re: Installer of Debian Stable allows to use btrfs for /, does it mean it's mature enough to use safely?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016, german398@ya.ru wrote:
> >If you are very conservative on these matters, your two choices are ext4 and XFS.
>
> I don't want XFS because it has weak journaling compared with "data=journal" mode of ext3/4.

The data=journal mode of ext4 is less stable than the default
data=ordered mode.  It is not widely used, and it has a higher risk of
regressions because of that.

> I tried to use ext4 on Debian Stable due to metadata checksums, but
> then discovered that e2fsck doesn't support this feature. So currently
> I just decided to stick with ext3.

Do yourself a favor and just stick to ext4.

The ext3 kernel driver was put out of its misery due to bitrot, and you
will be using the ext4 driver to run any ext3 filesystem anyway...

> > Then, your case is pretty clear: stay away from brtfs.
>
> How about using ZFS?

It would be a choice were you using FreeBSD.  ZFS on Linux is *not*
anywhere close to the same level of stability as native ZFS on FreeBSD
(or ext4/XFS on Linux, for that matter).

  Henrique Holschuh