Reply headers vs. in-mail requests (was Re: Bad news to CUDA applications (was: Re: GCC 6 & binutils for the Debian stretch release))

On 2016-07-01 at 08:43, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 06:07:27AM +0000, lumin wrote:
>
>> (please keep me in CC list)
>
> I suggest setting the headers to make this automatic rather than
> asking people to remember to do it :)

I'm pretty sure there is no header setting which will make this fully
automatic.

For one thing, he can only control header settings on mails which he
sends, not on mails which other people send in reply to those mails. If
he wants to be CCed on replies to those replies, as far as I know there
is no header which he can set which will make that happen.

For another thing, some replying practices will ignore such headers.

I normally reply to list mail using Thunderbird/Icedove's "Reply to
List" button, which addresses the reply only to the mailing list itself,
ignoring any headers which may be set to direct replies elsewhere. I do
this because otherwise the reply tends to be directed either to the
original sender rather than to the list (with "Reply", in the absence of
Reply-To set to the list address), or to all recipients (with "Reply
All"), depending on what headers are present - and IMO neither of those
is the correct default.

The presence of a comment such as this one informs me that I may want to
vary that practice in a given case. (I haven't done so in this case
since this mail is no longer on the topic which he raised, so I don't
have good reason to expect him to be interested in it.)

--
   The Wanderer