Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 24.06.2016, 15:38 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Dowland:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 03:02:57PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I never really understood why there is a games team; assuming that
> > technically, almost every game is an island. (Ok, legal issues might be
> > similar). This is a very different situation than programming library
> > packaging.
> >
> > With the Haskell packages, regularly do mass-changes and they work
> > well. I can try to dig up some examples from git history, if you are
> > interested.
>
> You're right that games are probably less homogenous than common language
> libraries. The kind of mass-changes we were making were therefore quite small,
> and usually Debian specific (things like add or change a control field across
> all packages, or bump standards version). Nevertheless, it rarely paid off.

here is one example that worked well:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-haskell/DHG_packages.git/commit/?id=aacf56121852f0618776bd36f162ba266221c674

Another example is mentioned in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2013/10/msg00007.html
that shows our "mass change" script (now "dht mass-change" in of pkg-
haskell-tools). That was still when  when every package had its own
repository, so there are now many commits from that invocation; if I’d
run this command now it would produce only a single commit.

From "man dht":

   dht mass-change
       Usage: dht mass-change [-n] [MESSAGE] [ACTION] DIRECTORY ...

       This script runs ACTION in each of the given directories.  If the  ACTION  ef‐
       fected a change, it will add MESSAGE to the changelog.

       It assumes that all directories are in the same git repository as this script.
       It ensures that the repository is clean to begin  with,  and  will  commit  all
       changes at once at the end, if there was a change.

Greetings,
Joachim

--

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner