Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

]] Philip Hands

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Do you also object to DSA using puppet for configuration management?
>
> Would objecting make any difference?

It's unlikely it'd be a significant factor in making us choose something
else.  I'm still curious, though.

There are significant pieces of free software where there exists
commercial and proprietary offerings either extending the software
directly or building on it by offering various value adds.  As long as
the project is run like a free software project, I don't see a problem
with this, in particular for the second version, where the value add
exists in the form of, say, extra server-side analytics tools.  I think
it's problematic if enhancements are rejected because it would make the
free version compete with the non-free version, which seems to more
often be the case for software where the proprietary offering extends
the software directly.

--
Tollef Fog Heen