Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

[adding gitlab folks in cc]

On Saturday 11 June 2016 02:16 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:

>>> I agree this is a legitimate concern. I have asked Gitlab Inc for their
>>> policy on merge requests to Gitlab CE for features already in Gitlab EE.
>>> Based on their reply, we can decide how to proceed. If their reply is
>>> positive, I will ask them to make it public, and we can go ahead with a
>>> debian.net instance of Gitlab. If their reply is negative, we can drop
>>> gitlab and consider Pagure (second best option).
>>
>> We do patching as part of our daily packaging already: to replace (or
>> circumvent) non-dfsg functionality, to integrate into our environment,
>> and everything else that upstream is not willing or able to apply
>> himself but is good in our opinion. Depending on the package, you may
>> find huge patches for our packages
>>
>> I would not see why a missing functionality of gitlab would be different
>> here.
> Given my personal expericence with so called opencore software, I do.
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

GitLab folks have indicated their interest to consider solving access
problems for debian (possibly releasing relevant code as Free Software
if we are serious about using gitlab). They would like to have a call
with relevant admins (since you being git.debian.org maintainer, your
presence would be essential, if we were to do such a call). Would you be
open to such a call?

Thanks
Praveen