dependency loop between initscripts and sysvinit-utils causes dist-upgrade failure

Package: sysvinit-utils
Version: 2.88dsf-59.5

Am 20.06.2016 um 00:47 schrieb Michael Biebl:
> Am 19.06.2016 um 23:39 schrieb Santiago Vila:
>
>> # apt-get upgrade
>> [...]
>> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>> [...]
>> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package sysvinit-utils:amd64 due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
>> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove sysvinit-utils:amd64 (2)
>>

>> I can reproduce this on a jessie system with very few packages
>> installed and this single line in sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch main
>>

>> If this problem is the result of fixing this bug, I would rather keep
>> the bug unfixed and leave things as before.
>
> It's not, afaics. My guess is it's related to [1]
> I suspect this can be fixed by dropping the
> Breaks: initscripts (<< 2.88dsf-59.5)
> from the initscripts package and only keeping the Replaces (I know this
> is not a 100% policy compliant, but I've seen this approach used before
> where apt got confused).

Let's turn this into a bug report so this can be tracked properly.

The issue being that /lib/init/vars.sh has been moved from initscripts
to sysvinit-utils.
sysvinit-utils got a Breaks/Replaces: initscripts (<< 2.88dsf-59.5) for
that.
On the other hand, the initscripts has got a dependency on
sysvinit-utils (>= 2.88dsf-59.5) to ensure /lib/init/vars.sh is available.

As mentioned, dropping the Breaks should break the loop.

universe are pointed away from Earth?