Re: trying to use wireless not from gnome... what's the incantation?

Am 26.05.2016 um 09:16 schrieb Russell Stuart:
> partly.  Among the things that didn't work were wicd (kept on
> reinitialising the interface every 10 seconds or so) and network-
> manager (didn't recognise the interface at all).  This initially caused
> a lot of head scratching and wasted time because I blamed the drivers
> of new hardware.  But it worked 100% reliably when in desperation I
> configured it manually.

That might very well be the driver which is at fault here. NM uses the
modern nl80211 kernel interface by default to interact with wireless
interfaces and maybe your driver has incomplete/broken nl80211 support.

If you configured wpa_supplicant manually, it's possible that this used
the old wext interface, which in your case worked better with your driver.

It's hard to say though. For this we'd need proper debug logs to further
investigate this.

For testing purposes you can force NM to use wext via
wifi-wext-only=true in NetworkManager.conf, fwiw.

Regards,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?