Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 25.05.2016, 08:25 +0200 schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli:
> I just wonder whether we should also take the chance of improving the
> spec in a way that will allow, down the line, to automatically find the
> actual packaging code also in other, more complex situations. Specifying
> a branch is the first thing that comes to my mind. But we have seen in
> the past that it might also be useful to be able to specify the given
> layout of the Git repository (i.e., is it a debian/ only, is it split
> debian/upstream, is it merged debian/upstream, etc).
>
> All this considering, here are a few options:
>
> 1) URL [DIR] <- what you suggested
>
> 2) URL [dir=DIR]
>
>    where "dir" is an actual string, in keyword-argument style, that
>    makes it explicit what the extra optional argument means. This would
>    allow in the future to have other extra arguments without creating
>    ambiguity. This would allow something like the following:
>
> 3) URL [dir=DIR] [branch=BRANCH] [layout=LAYOUT]

There is precedent here, namely "-b branch", which is already
supported. The reason this syntax is there is because git understands
it out of the box, but that does not stop us from using it for other
fields as well, e.g. "-d directory",
 "-l layout" etc.

OTOH, long names are easier to read.

Greetings,