Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

Ian Jackson writes:
> IMO the way to read "is a bug RC" is "if the bug is not fixed, would
> Debian be better without the package, than with the buggy package".
> This calls for weighing the harm caused by the bug to the people
> affected, against the benefit of the package to other users.
>
> In this case I think the class of affected users is big enough - and
> there are generally enough alternatives - that the bug ought to be RC.
> If the packages are removed from Debian, then those users will be
> guided by our installation and package selection tools to other,
> working, software.

If we treated architectures in the same way, I wonder if we would have
any architecture other than amd64...  After all that will guide our
users to other, working, architectures.

(No, I don't find "let's just drop Qt/GNOME/X11/ncurses" a very useful
approach and I don't think it is very productive to suggest to do
so. More the opposite.)

Ansgar