Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

Hi!

On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 19:17:15 -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2016 13:23:30 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Last year it was decided to increase the minimum CPU features for the
> > i386 architecture to 686-class in the stretch release cycle.  This
> > means dropping support for 586-class and hybrid 586/686
> > processors[1].(Support for 486-class processors was dropped, somewhat
> > accidentally, in squeeze.)
> >
> > This was implemented in the Linux kernel packages starting with Linux
> > 4.3, which was uploaded to unstable in December last year.
>
> I guess the answer is "no", but just to be sure: does this means that i386
> supported processors need to implement SSE2?

I suppose this is related to unconditional SSE2 requirement in new Qt
libraries, (bugs #792594, #794739), for which I thought I had clarified
the conditions and for which I've provided patches already, but also for
which I'm not willing to sign the CLA.

This means that Qt and any application using those specific bits, will
not run at all (silently) in Stretch on any AMD-based i386 CPUs, nor on
older Intel ones, which I'd assume is a pretty big percent of the i386
park.

I think the same is affecting Chromium, which I'll need to fix too.
I've got local packages for the Qt Declarative stuff which I could
publish if there's demand.

Thanks,
Guillem