Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

Agustin Martin wrote...

> On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 07:17:53PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >
> > > running unstable is not for users who don't know how to deal with
> > > breakage. dealing with breakage involves reading d-d-a.
> >
> > I was thinking to give users running affected hardware more warning
> > than reading the release notes in the next stable release.
>
> Agreed, unfortunately release-notes is often not properly read.

No big surprise. Given the amount of unneeded information combined
with the experience several gotchas were missing ... I've stopped
reading them. Several other people probably too.

So the remaing purpose is to ridicule those who dare to report a
problem that was actually mentioned.

> Do not know how easy it is, but it would be nice to have some
> config/preinst check in relevant packages to complain loudly before
> package is upgraded to an incompatible version, allowing to abort
> installation.
>
> Adding such check in some way to stable to warn in advance would also be
> nice.

Agreed, the problem is how to install that check that early not single
incompatible binary gets installed.

The robust but complex way I proposed last year was ignored, though:

| The sane solution was to bootstrap a new architecture "i686" and use
| multiarch cross-upgrade to switch, something that will hopefully be
| almost as simple as a regular dist-upgrade by then. Using the "dpkg
| --add-architecture" invocation for a CPU capability check and warning
| sounds a bit strange, though. There might be better places, as long as
| this happens before the first i686-only executable hits the file
| system.
|
| Those users who ignore the instructions in the release notes will stay
| on stretch until they realize their fault, and no harm done.
| Additionally, this leaves the "i386" architecture name for any
| volunteers who'd like to continue it as a debian-port.

where s/stretch/jessie/

    Christoph