Re: Packaging of static libraries

* Milan Kupcevic <milan@debian.org>, 2016-04-10, 20:34:
We should change policy and packaging tools such that static linking are not enabled by default and only enabled when there is a good reason to do so; when requested by users or when there is some other
No, we should not.
+1

A lintian check should suffice.
Lintian check for what?

In the context of discussion and Paul's proposal[0][1] lintian check for statically linked binaries in Debian packages should suffice. If the one we've got[2] is deficient then we should look into it and figure out how to fix it.

[...]

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/04/msg00210.html
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking
[2] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/statically-linked-binary.html

I wouldn't call the check deficient, but I don't think it does what you'd want it to do.

statically-linked-binary is emitted only when the binary is not linked to any shared libraries (not even libc).

It would be helpful if we could check if an dynamic binary is linked to a static library from another package; but I'm not aware of any reliable method to implement such check.

--
Jakub Wilk