Re: Opt out style recommends

+++ Josh Triplett [2016-04-08 10:31 -0700]:
> I wonder if debian-policy section 12 should talk about the desired
> package relationship between <package> and <package>-doc?

The world has changed since the policy was originally written. I do
like to have -doc package for most things installed and find it
very annoying that often the 'help' in an app just takes you to a
web-page somewhere, which is particulaly galling when you have no net
connection, or only an expensive one.

But I agree that this is now the exception rather than the norm and a
lot of the time recommends for a second copy of the docs is too strong.

>  For instance,
> "If <package> is a build tool, command-line tool, or library, <package>
> already provides documentation in man, info, or text format, and
> <package>-doc provides HTML or other formats, <package> should have a
> 'Suggests: <package>-doc'.  Otherwise, <package> should have a
> 'Recommends: <package>-doc'."

That seems a sensible default position.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/