Re: Opt out style recommends

Agreed.  I turned off Recommends years ago on all my systems, because it
installs too many things I don't want (by both the mild "takes up
space" criteria and in many cases the "don't want an extra daemon
running" criteria).

Here's a Python script (using python-apt, which you'll need installed)
that will find and print all unsatisfied Recommends on your system:

#!/usr/bin/python
import apt
c = apt.Cache()
for pkg in c:
   if pkg.installed is not None:
       for rd in pkg.candidate.get_dependencies("Recommends"):
           if not rd.installed_target_versions:
               print pkg, rd

There's also:

 aptitude (ncurses) -> Views -> Audit recommendations

 (with explanations/rdeps in the panel at the bottom)

or its equivalent in the command line (without the explanation):

 aptitude search '!~v!~i~RBrecommends:~i'

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>