upstream_version not starting with a digit (was: Re: How to change config script for multiarch?)

Hi,

Quoting Paul Wise (2016-02-12 02:02:53)
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > A bit OT: the old-style-config-script lintian description links to a 404 page
> > on sources.debian.net. Maybe this link should be updated? Is there a way to
> > create a link to a file on sources.debian.net where, if the version doesn't
> > exist anymore, it will automatically fall-back to the next highest version?
>
> You can use 'latest' or any suite (unstable/testing/etc) or codename
> (sid/jessie/etc) in the version part of the URL to avoid broken links.

I was about to ask what would happen if somebody would introduce a native
Debian package with upstream_version "jessie". As far as I see, this would be
legal according to policy because §5.6.12 only says that the upstream_version
part "should" start with a digit.

Though when I then tried to create such a package, dpkg refused to cooperate:

dpkg-buildpackage: warning:     debian/changelog(l1): version '0:jessie' is invalid: version number does not start with digit
LINE: name (0:jessie) unstable; urgency=medium

According to the following regex over my Sources there seems to be no source
package with an upstream_version part that does not start with a digit:

sed -ne 's/^Version: \([0-9]\+:\)\?[^0-9]//p'

So maybe policy should be adjusted to reflect reality?

cheers, josch