Re: Are two Vcs-{Git|Svn|...} and Vcs-Browser fields sensible?

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 18:54:08 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Andreas Tille:
> > On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 02:21:06PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >>
> >> Right. So something like...
> >>
> >> debian/control:
> >> Vcs-Git: ${vcs:repo}
> >> Vcs-Browser: ${vcs:browser}
> >>
> >> debian/vcs:
> >> Vcs-Type: Git
> >> Vcs-Host: Debian
> >> Vcs-Path: <team>/<repo>
> >>
> >> debian/rules:
> >> override_dh_gencontrol:
> >> 	dh_your_new_magic_vcs_script
> >> 	dh_gencontrol
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> > I like this constructive contribution which really fits the intention of
> > my initial mail.  Probably that's the easiest one to implement without
> > touching main infrastructure.  Seems we are just lacking a volunteer for
> > implementation.
> >

> I appreciate this idea and effort.  Unfortunately, this is the type of
> information we want in the *source* package (at least AFAICT), and to my
> knowledge you cannot use substitution variables in those.

Ack. And besides that, even if we wanted to have tens of thousands of
binNMUs in general, they (currently) don't work for arch:all
packages.

In general, I liked the original idea of de-coupling the vcs info
from the source package in order to avoid the need of
uploads/binNMUs. Everything else won't bring us much, I fear ...

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06