Re: Are two Vcs-{Git|Svn|...} and Vcs-Browser fields sensible?

Hi Andreas,

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 08:59:57AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Well, debcheckout is not accessing debian/control files of single
> packages.  My suggestion was obviously not clear enough.  We certainly
> should keep the old known fields in Packages files etc - but these
> should be calculated values according the scheme we agreed upon at the
> given point in time.

Right. So something like...

debian/control:
Vcs-Git: ${vcs:repo}
Vcs-Browser: ${vcs:browser}

debian/vcs:
Vcs-Type: Git
Vcs-Host: Debian
Vcs-Path: <team>/<repo>

debian/rules:
override_dh_gencontrol:
	dh_your_new_magic_vcs_script
	dh_gencontrol

(that, or "dh --with-magic-vcs-script", of course, whatever you prefer)

...would do all that with little extra required infrastructure; just the
dh_your_new_magic_vcs_script thing that you'd have to write. This script
would parse debian/vcs, and generate ${vcs:repo} and ${vcs:browser}
substitution variables in debian/substvars. Then whenever the brand new
URL scheme happens, all that's needed is an update of the magic VCS
script and a rebuild (or binNMU) of the affected packages.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26