Re: Downscaling responsibilities

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 03:20:48PM +0000, Chris Boot wrote:

> I guess the bit I don't follow is removing features from various
> services, but carrying on maintaining them.

Chopping some overengineering out of debtags.debian.net is something I
could actually have fun with. I also hope that by freeing myself from
some commitments, I can have fun with some of my todo list items on
nm.d.o and contributors.d.o.

I still would like not to be alone with the responsibility for them.
The offer on http://enricozini.org/2014/debian/on-responsibilities/
still stands.

> I realise that with packages one can RFA or totally Orphan them and make
> it obvious to other parties that a new maintainer is required. It feels
> like perhaps that's lacking for some of the Debian infrastructure services.
>
> While I don't feel I can realistically volunteer to maintain any of the
> things you are trying to orphan, I also had no real idea that this was
> on the cards. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
>
> Do we need a WNP{Services} to improve the visibility of this kind of thing?

I think we need something like that. For each web service, we could use
at least a list of maintainers and a (private) address that goes to the
maintainers, which can be used for things like contact information on
html <meta> tags, page footers, cron emails, and error notifications
from the site[1].

[1] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/ref/settings/#admins

Enrico

--