Re: APT 1.2 preview uploaded to experimental -- please test

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:07:06PM +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> Le 13/01/2016 00:18, Julian Andres Klode a écrit :
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:13:51PM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> >> Good moo,
> >>
> >> I just uploaded APT 1.2~exp1 to experimental. This release includes
> >> the following highlights:
> >>
> >> * Automatic removal of debs after install for apt(8)
> >> * LZ4 support
> >> * Recompression of indices
> >> * Parallel rred
> >> * Further 15% performance gain in cache generation
> >>
> >> It should hit the archive with the next dinstall run.
> >>
> >> It will be uploaded to unstable in the coming days, we only want to
> >> get some testing and fix some other bugs from unstable first.
> >
> > There have been no reports of regressions compared to 1.1, so we'll
> > probably go ahead with an upload to unstable *this week* (Friday
> > maybe).
>
>   Sorry, I found one (regression).
> Before "apt-get update" takes about 20s on my system
> After "apt-get update" takes more than 5 min on my system...
> Details in the bug I just filled (#810898). It is linked to the
> use of compressed indices advertized with this release.

They never worked well for outside code. That's just a fact. Most
stuff will even simply break, dd-list for example. I recently
announced a mass bug filing to fix this.

For those that work but are slow, it's mostly always a issue of
random access to Packages files instead of linear access.

Acquire::gzipIndexes exists since more than 5 years, since
0.7.26~exp10 from 12 Jul 2010 to be precise. Let's make sure
we get it working now that it's actually fast.
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.