Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Riku Voipio:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:50:56AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> The loss of keyscript just broke my clients. I am really afraid of the
>> first system update breaking my _servers_, causing a resinstall to be
>> necessary. I know of one customer who already said that if a reinstall
>> will become necessary, the reinstalled distribution will be called Red
>> Hat Enterprise Linux. I'd like to postpone this as long as possible.
>
> If bug-free upgrades are valueble for you and your clients, it doesn't
> seem wise to bet on luck that nothing will break. Debian has had
> quite good record on successful in-place upgrades, but it mostly depends
> on volunteers doing manual dist-upgrade tests during freeze. Which is often
> too late and too little.
>
> Settings up automated upgrade tests at jenkins.debian.net for both generic
> installs and installs similar your setup would let you identify and fix
> issues before they become problems in your production.
>
> Riku

Just adding a data point to the discussion:

 * Every single release breaks something[1][2][3][4].
 * Stretch is of course no exception[5].

Releases are not a question of "if" but rather "what" breaks (and "to
which extend"/"how many use-cases").

Note, if any one is concerned with Jessie's list of issues being longer
than Wheezy's list.  That is more likely to be a result from us putting
more effort into documenting issues for Jessie compared to Wheezy.
  Of course, I only have a "gut feeling" backing my claim.  Please do
not take it as a fact (nor as a disapproval of the efforts for Wheezy).

Thanks,
~Niels

[1]
https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html