overlayfs (was: Re: support for merged /usr in Debian)

On Jan 06, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> Do you mean overlayfs? If so can you or anyone vouch for its quality?
> I had been trying it as a docker storage back end and generally found
> that it was not ready yet.
Can you be more specific? I only use it to test new packages and it
works for me.
e.g. with this simple script I create on the fly an ephemeral copy on
write clone of my development machine in a container:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/usrmerge.git/plain/development/test

This way I can try over and over installing the same package.

You can also use an overlayfs as the lowerdir of another one, so with
the same script you can prepare a test environment and then repeat only
the last step in a second container.

--
ciao,
Marco