Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 3 January 2016 at 03:52, ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) <czchen@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 01:23:14AM -0200, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
>> It violates the FHS 2.3 standards.
>>
>> http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_2.3/fhs-2.3.html
>
> Can you cite the requirement in FHS 2.3 which is violated by usrmerge. I
> only found the requirements that allow us to do usrmerge via symbolic
> link. For example:
>
>     http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_2.3/fhs-2.3.html#Requirements
>
>     The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, are
>     required in /.
>
>> Also, if you guys (Debian) reeeeeeeally wants to move everything to
>> /usr, so, there is no reason for any symbolic links at the root file
>> system.
>
> Symbolic links at the root file system is required by FHS 2.3. Removing
> them will violate it.
>
> --
> ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) <czchen@debian.org>
> Debian Developer (https://nm.debian.org/public/person/czchen)
> Key fingerprint = EC9F 905D 866D BE46 A896  C827 BE0C 9242 03F4 552D

Thank you for your time and explanation! I really appreciate it...

I just don't get why you guys are pushing this unneeded change.

Debian doesn't need this.

Systemd doesn't need this either!

So, why? Why!?

I'm not convinced, even after reading this:

https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/

I don't see any reason to move /bin/bash, to /usr/bin/bash!   LOL

Some udev rules will silently fail to work if "/usr" is split off and
not pre-mounted? So what?

This is NO reason to UsrMerge. Just keep "/usr" on the same block
device of "/", period.

No ugly symlinks on root file system, no Bash at /usr/bin/bash!

The problem is that "/usr" is not supported anymore, on a separated
partition! Okay, okay... But, moving /bin/* to /usr/bin/* is NOT a
solution to this problem, it is a wrong approach.

Just tell the users that "/usr" isn't supported on a separated
partition anymore (tell users what will happen if they do this /
limitations), and do not touch anything else. During install, while
partitioning storage, print a message about this, if user tries to
separate "/usr".

Please, do not bring this UsrMerge thing to Debian.

Regards,
Thiago